Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Make that Call

When the page turned on the calendar we could count on his call. The slow drawl would drift over the phone line, "I just wanted to give y'all a chance to wish me a happy birthday." My father and stepmother would chuckle and sing the familiar song. It became a routine. Something they knew to expect each and every year. They asked him once why he couldn't wait for them to call. And he had an answer, "I just decided I could either sit around and feel sorry for myself or I could pick up the phone and call folks...And you know, it's a funny thing. It makes me happy."


In truth it's a God thing. "Two are better than one....If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up." (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, NIV) God doesn't want us to live our lives in isolation. Go ahead. Why not make that call?

No comments:

Post a Comment